Monday, March 19, 2012

easy crockpot corned seitan "beef"

So.. In the spirit of St. Patty's day, I spent some time perusing vegan blogs looking for cooking inspiration.

I seem to eb and flow with my interest in looking at blogs, and paying attention to my own. Apparently I was even the winner of a cookbook on Vegan Appetite, and didn't check blogger quick enough and it was re-gifted (re-won?) boo! So is this a guilt-post?

So... I found this recipe for Corned Seitan on Vegan Planet  here is the--> recipe. It looked like a fairly simple recipe for making seitan using the crockpot. I really have absolutely no memory of ever eating corned beef before I was a veggie person, but the thought of making seitan in a crockpot sounded mighty tempting. (I have definitely not had good seitan-making luck in the past)

seitan before cooking
 
The recipe calls for making the seitan in a big crockpot, and adding lots of veggies: potatoes, cabbage, carrots, etc.. Well, I didn't have any of those veggies, AND I only have a small 4 qt crockpot. So I used the basic seitan recipe, and added saurkraut under and along the sides of the seitan dough. The dough came together really easy, then I was able to put it in the crockpot, and walk away! How wonderful!


after 5 hours in the crockpot



The recipe said to cook for 7-8 hours on low. I put my crockpot on high for 4 hours, then on low for about 1 more hour.  It felt firm and smelled awesome... so we decided to eat then!


Didn't it come out pretty? Looked so yum!
We ate this with some mashed potatoes, and some steamed broccoli and cauliflower.

We ate this on saturday... and we're thinking tonight its reubens for dinner with the leftovers!

1 comment: