Thursday, November 4, 2010

Vegan MOFO day 4- Curried Chickpeas w/ Couscous and roasted Brussels Sprouts

Tonight we ate some more of my favorite veggie ever--- BRUSSELS SPROUTS! These were simply tossed with a lil olive oil, salt and fresh ground pepper, then roasted in a 400F oven for 25 minutes.
I made some curried chickpeas and couscous for the main dish tonight. I made this recipe up in my head... I was craving chickpeas and curry.. and I was short on time, so I didn't want to make brown rice. Couscous it was! This was nice and filling and super easy :) This recipe made a gigantic pot full, definitely enough for like 5 people.

ingredients:
1 T peanut oil
1 small red onion- diced
1 inch ginger root- grated
salt
2 small carrots- peeled and chopped
1 big can of chickpeas (30 oz)- drained and rinsed
2 T curry powder
splash- Bragg's liquid aminos
1 1/2 frozen peas
2 cups whole wheat couscous
2 cups water

-Sauteed the onion in a lil oil, add in the ginger once it starts to cook. Salt this. Then add in the chopped carrot (if I had red pepper that would have been good too, add that and other veggies at this step). After a couple minutes, add the chickpeas and curry powder. Cook for a couple minutes until everything starts to come together. Season with some Bragg's (or tamari). Add in the peas and couscous, stir around a lil. Then add in the water and bring pot to a boil. Put a lid on the pot and remove from heat. Let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff up the mixture and serve with a lil mango chutney if you want.

1 comment: